|Sanya V. Litvyak|
13 (Season 1)
Date of Birth:
August 18, 1930
Orussian Army, 586th Fighter Aviation Regiment, 501st Joint Fighter Wing
Striker Unit model:
MiG 60 (Season 1)
Kadowaki Mai (Japanese)
Aleksandra "Sanya" Vladimirovna Litvyak (サーニャ・V・リトヴャク, Sānya V Ritovyaku?, Александра Владимировна Литвяк) is a Night Witch of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, originating from Orussia and affiliated with her home unit: the Imperial Army of Orussia’s 586th Fighter regiment. She is sometimes referred by the alias of White Lily of Stalingrado.
Her familiar is the domestic cat (or Black cat).
Snow white skin and pale hair. The cute girl from a northern country, Sanya. This girl who is weak against sunlight always seems to be tired during the day and is mostly awake during the night. She gives a very fleeting impression, almost as if she's about to disappear. She has an obedient personality and doesn't speak much. She is always together with Eila, who loves her dearly, and Sanya is also very attached to Eila.
She also has a sad past; she was separated from her beloved father when the Neuroi invaded Orussia. She firmly believes he's still alive, and often hums the song “Sanya’s Song” that he wrote for her, losing herself in memories. The song, and how to play the piano (which she learned from her father, who is a musician), forms a strong bond between them. Sanya quietly keeps on fighting for the day she finally will be able to reunite with her father.
Sanya is often partnered with Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen, and perhaps as a result (perhaps it is simply chemistry) the two have become very close; Eila is often portrayed as fiercely protective of her younger squadmate and takes on a sometimes awkwardly nurturing role during down-time. Whether this interest is romantic or plain, big-sisterly fondness is up for interpretation.
Her Magic Antenna (魔導針, Madō Shin, lit. "Magic Needles") allow her to interact with radio waves. It is a type of non-visual perception that can detect objects at extreme ranges. Also can use a spell to provide guidance cues to other witches and aircraft and is able to tune in and rebroadcast radio transmissions. Classified in the detection system, she can explore the zone with her magic.
Sanya based on Russian flying ace Lydia V. Litvyak, one of only two female aces of World War II and the only female pilot out of the pilots the witches are based on. Both share the name "White Lily of Stalingrad"; a nickname that may have been influential on the color choice of Sanya's hair.
Strike Witches "What-if" — 1947Flight Lieutenant Litvyak returned a triumphant hero. She was afforded the liberty of obtaining long-term leave or even to step down from the front lines if she so wished, but instead after she met briefly with her parents she returned to the night sky. The sky which her beloved flew in.
- This shouldn't be considered entirely canonical, because it was only tweeted by Humikane.
Sanya carries a Fliegerhammer rocket launcher into combat. It is likely inspired by the experimental German Fliegerfaust, a multi-barreled unguided ground-to-air rocket launcher based on the Panzerfaust.
- See here for the "Fliegerhummer" vs. "Fliegerhammer" spelling controversy.
- Himegoe Voice Albums
- Hime Uta Song Albums
- Himebana Drama Albums
- Himeroku Drama Albums
- Strike Witches Gakuen
- Himegoe CD 2 Voice Albums
- Starlight Stream
- Strike Witches Otome no Maki
- Strike Witches 2
- Strike Witches the Movie Visual Short Story
- Raise the Battle Ship Yamato in 1945
Sanya's comments on other characters:
- "Colonel Minna is very kind to me. I was very happy when she let us build the sauna. The time I accompanied her song on the piano is also a very good memory."
- "I’d like to talk more with Lynne. I sometimes see Eila talking to her, but I can’t just do it like that… I wonder if Lynne liked having that done to her… The blueberries were very good!"
- " I became friends with Yoshika when we were out on a mission together. Speaking of which… I think I called her Miyafuji at first… I’m glad we have our birthdays on the same date, and that we were able to celebrate it together."
- " Major Sakamoto is very strict, but she also has a friendly side which reminds me of my father,so I’d like to talk more with her. I wonder if I can become as cheerful as Yoshika if I train with the Major?"
- "I think Perrine is actually a very kind person. When she told me I was like a ghost, I think that was just a way for her of trying to encourage me. So don’t do any mean things to her, Eila."
- "I was very surprised the first time I met Lucchini and she suddenly embraced me… But it felt as if I suddenly had became her mother, and that was mysterious feeling. Seems like she got into a big fight with Eila right after that, but they made up right away… I wonder why? Eila told me it was because “they had similar interests”, but…"
- "I look up to people like Shirley! What parts…? Umm… How she… seems to be able to become friends with just about anyone… but… Eila? Why are you grinning like that?"
- "I was actually quite scared of Barkhorn at first. But I soon realized when we flew together that she really cares about everyone. Even when I’m flying behind her, she knows very well where I am… It’s very comforting."
- "Other people say this is surprising but… I actually often talk with Hartmann. We talked the other day and suddenly about 5 hours had past! But the people who were there and heard us later said they had no idea what we were talking about… Actually… I don’t remember either."
- "Eila is very dear to me. We’re always together… because that’s just the way it is. I didn’t even notice it until people around me told me. But I don’t like her habit of touching other girl’s bodies like she does! That’s not good, Eila! You never do those kinds of things to me… Why? Just blushing won’t help me understand…"
- ↑ Strike Witches Official Fanbook Complete File, page 35
|Return to 501st JFW|