16 (1944 Strike Witches)
Date of Birth:
April 19, 1927-->
Empire Government of Karlsland Air Force, Jagdgeschwader 52 (JG52) 4th Staffel
Pilot Officer (1939)
Striker Unit model:
Erica Hartmann (エーリカ・ハルトマン, Ērika Harutoman?) is a witch of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, originating from Karlsland and affiliated with the Karlsland Air Force and her home unit: the Luftwaffe's JG52. Some call her by the pet name of Frau (フラウ, Furau), especially her friends. However, she became renowned as the Black Devil (ブラックデビル, Burakku Debiru). She is the twin sister of Ursula Hartmann, a witch and test pilot. She is Karlsland Airforce's (and, therefore humanity's) 1st greatest ace.
Her familiar is the Dachshund, although her twin sister's familiar is a Badger in the light novels. Unlike other Witches, Erica and her twin sister Ursula don't actually grow animal ears; instead the tips of their hair turn black.
Erica is Karlsland's sixteen year old "ultra ace" of the Luftwaffe JG 52 with more than 300 confirmed victories and the rank of Flying Officer. Within the setting of the Strike Witches' world, she one of the best-seven witches in terms of shot down count (the other six being Wilcke , Barkhorn , Schnaufer , Rall , Marseille and Rudel).
She is from the southern part of Karlsland, and her father is a doctor and her mother used to be a witch. That's why she also wanted to become a witch and fly in the sky. Her twin sister, Ursula is also a witch, serving up in Suomus. Her dream of the future, is becoming a doctor. She go to Asian destinations when she was a child. When she go to home in the Trans-Siberian Railway and her mother was sick, Erica decided to becomes a witch.
During her time at the training academy, she was transferred from a training school in Bayern to the same academy as Hanna-Justina Marseille. She was particularly attached to Marseille, with their relationship being a repetition of one-sided challenges and light turn downs. With Marseille being regarded as "impertinent and rebellious" by the instructors, the top student position of the training school ended up being taken away by Hartmann. Later, Erica was assigned to the Jagdgeschwader 52 (JG52) 4th Staffel together with (at the time) Pilot Officer Marseille.
She joined the JG52 at around the same time as Gertrud Barkhorn and Waltrud Krupinski, whom she considers good friends. She spent a good deal of time with Waltrud, who was her lead wingman. Her current home unit is the same as Barkhorn's, the 52nd Fighter Wing. When she have the rank of Pilot Officer, met then Edytha Roßmann during her dismal wartime debut. Edytha's teaching skill, thanks to a talent for deftly influencing people meant much of the efforts of instructing new pilots was left up to her, and Erica learned most of the basics of dog fighting under her tutelage, although her first output was very bad. Nakajima Nishiki fighter in a ocasion with Erica and Gertrud, but pitifully, she was completely forgotten by the two. Erica also could meeting Angela Salas Larrazabal during the evacuation of Karlsland.
After finishing her training and getting assigned, Erica fought in the same unit on the front line in the east, later during the defense of her home country, and then they were involved in the evacuation of Gallia. her shoot down count had a sudden rise when Barkhorn was transferred to the unit. However, the other members of the flying corps were scattered in middle of the evacuation war, with only her and Flight Lieutenant Barkhorn remaining in the end. Afterwards, with the establishment of the 501st JFW, she joined in along with Wing Commander Wilcke and Flight Lieutenant Barkhorn, becoming one of its founding members.
Extend the shot down the number steadily since it was assigned to the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, shot down Neuroi of 10 aircraft per day in the spring of '44, was awarded the oak leaf with knight iron cross section total shot down the number reached 200 aircraft were. On the day of her commendation, Erica misplaces her panties, so she steals Lucchini's. As Lucchini is forced to sit without wearing panties during Erica's ceremony, a breezy wind reveals the true culprit. When the 501st was disbanded, Erica, alongside Trude and Minna, decide to stay behind to find out about Maloney's plans. Later, she and the other Strike Witches liberated Gallia.
After the liberation of Gallia and the disband of the 501st JFW, Erica moved to Sint-Truiden (St. Trond), Belgica, along with Flight Lieutenant Barkhorn and Wing Commander Wilcke, engaging in Karlsland recapture operations and investigate a disturbance over Karlsland.
When the 501st was reformed in Romagna, Erica volunteers to accompany Marseille on the mission with attack the Neuroi Hive over Malta Island and liberated the with alongside Flight Lieutenant Marseille, since Barkhorn, originally one of the witches choiced, and Hanna do not get along. After fooling around in a training session, Erica and Hanna are ordered to stay in a room together to learn to cooperate. Obsessed with winning, Hanna has always wanted to settle things with Erica, whom she views as her equal, but as of late she is annoyed with Erica's lack of competitive spirit. When Hanna badmouths Barkhorn, who wants an autograph for her sister, Erica agrees to compete with her during the mission. When they reached a draw after destroying the Neuroi, they have a tiebreaker dogfight, also ending in a draw. Before she leaves, Hanna decides to give the autograph. Erica later participated in the Operation Mars and liberated Venezia with the other 501st Witches.
In the movie, Minna becomes curious about the reports on the new type of Neuroi, which appears too far away from the usual nests, sending Gertrude and Erica to investigate. Their search leads them to find several transforming Neuroi, as well as a tower-shaped one which escapes underground. With more Neuroi expected to come, the 501st Joint Fighter Wing is once again reformed.
While extremely efficient and strategic in battle, Erica is rather sloppy on the ground, and her room (which she has never cleaned) is extremely messy. She is the sort of person who is only serious when the situation calls for it. Her carefree attitude stands in stark contrast to her twin sister's quieter, more reserved demeanor. However, while seemingly lighthearted, she actually cares a lot about safety and well-being of her teammates and friends. She doesn't talk much, and she likes doing things at her own pace, but she is really brave in battle and always performs accurate strikes. However, she dislikes the bureaucratic nature of the military. Her favourite hobby is sleep. She's amazing in combat, but otherwise she seems a little dreamy. She also likes the food, especially potato. However, she might not look like it, but she can be very stubborn sometimes, and she always looks at everything with critical eyes, so she isn't liked by the people above.
Erica also never seems to get stressed up or agitated. Also, she likes cooking, but Wing Commander Wilcke and Flight Lieutenant Barkhorn told she that 'You don't have to cook anything from now on…'. Since it was “orders from superior officers”, they even forced Erica to sign a paper on it. The people never know what this one is thinking. She's quite mysterious. She's a truly amazing ace in the sky, but down on the ground, it seems like she thinks even just moving her finger is making too much an effort. Consequently, she is the frequent target of the strait-laced Barkhorn's disciplinary lectures but she normally ignores and tune it out. A cheerful, upbeat and friendly breath of fresh air who doesn't hold grudges and can get along with anybody.
She haves a close relationship with Gertrud Barkhorn, in despite with her very different personalities. Erica also haves a good relation with Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke and a surprisingly close relationship with Sanya V. Litvyak. She considers Edytha Rossmann and Waltrud Krupinski good friends.
Her special technique is an offensive barrel roll named Sturm (疾風 (シュトルム), Shutorumu; German for "Storm") which manipulates gusts of ether to attack enemies. Classified in the attack system, is the ability of manipulate the air, divert the enemies's attacks and facilitate a special flight in a normal condition. Erica can attack the enemies whether she's concentrated. In the movie, Hartmann has been seen combining her Sturm ability with Perrine's Tonnerre attack, creating an attack which more than double their effectiveness. It's powerful enough to blow holes through Neuroi. It is a function that come with the striker unit type of flight basically, except operable by the power of their own is different from the others it. Also possible to cut through the goal as cut caused by whirlwind if concentrate consciousness, power is low but can be attacks on a wide range.
She is the extremely efficient and strategic in battle, which is a evidence of her biggest battle abilities. By Gertrud own word 'she is the most expert witch in the unit'. Bury the enemy surely to understand the situation around in a calm power of observation and intuition of genius, and she is the Ultra Ace of top class in the world. She also has never lost a wingman ever.
Her ace archetype is Erich Hartmann. Erica's hairstyle is based on Erich's nickname "Bubi". She has her hair in a "Bubischnitt", which is the German term for a "bob". Her striker unit has the black tulip pattern also present on Erich Hartmann's aircraft. Also, her sister is named Ursula, the name of Erich Hartmann's wife. Like Erica, Erich also had a problem with discipline, and the hubbub over her stealing Lucchini's underwear is based on Erich Hartmann accidentally taking Hitler's hat.
On her Strikers, one can see the Black Tulip pattern that adorned Erich Hartmann's aircraft. Her Striker Unit, the Messersharf Bf109G-6, it's a new model with a lot of details have been updated, and the power of the engine has been increased.
Strike Witches "What-if" — 1947Flight Lieutenant Erica Hartmann, who has returned to JG52. Since many veteran witches have left the front lines, she accepted the duties of Flight Lieutenant and Company Commander, but that smiling face hasn't changed.
- This shouldn't be considered entirely canonical, because it was only tweeted by Humikane.
- Himegoe Voice Albums
- Hime Uta Song Albums
- Himebana Drama Albums
- Himeroku Drama Albums
- Strike Witches Gakuen
- Himegoe CD 2 Voice Albums
- Starlight Stream
- Suomus Misfits Squadron in Love mentioned at Chapter 4 by Hanna U. Rudel
- Strike Witches Otome no Maki
- Strike Witches 2
- Strike Witches Short-Shorts: After the Sky
- Kaze ni Tanabiku Shiroi Are
- Strike Witches 2 Visual Short Story
- 500overs in Africa
Erica's Comments About Other Characters
- "I'm not fond of rules, and I tend to say that even to superior officers, so I'm not very liked by the people above. But Minna is different. She doesn't dislike fighting, but she does dislike wasting her subordinates lives. Minna understands the importance of getting everyone home alive, so when I fly under her command, I can fight to the fullest."
- "Lynne has cheered up a lot since Miyafuji came. She really seemed to be about to break from the pressure before that. I had a similar experience when I was new, but I was blessed with good companions. I guess the friendship between Miyafuji and Lynne is similar to the friendship between me and Trude in that regard."
- "Miyafuji is the one who saved Trude when she was badly injured not long ago. I'm really grateful! We didn't have a witch with healing powers in our unit before… I really wished they'd sent after her sooner. She still isn't very skilled and mostly just goes with flow, but I guess I’m not the one to talk about other peoples times as rookies."
- "I met Major Sakamoto several times back in Karlsland, but she is still as amazing now as she was then. She's one of the few people I know who I feel I trust blindly. It seems like Minna trusts her a lot as well, almost so much it makes me feel jealous. Well, I'd never fit as a trainee instructor, so…"
- "I’ve heard Perrine is from some really high-class family. I guess that's why she's so obsessed with etiquette and manners… it took us quite some time to get used to each other. But she is honest in recognizing other good fighters and I’m sure her aerial victory score would go up steadily if she just found a good partner. But when I suggested Miyafuji she looked at me like the world was about to end."
- "That Lucchini… No matter how many pranks she plays, she never gets put into house arrest or anything since she’s the youngest of us. I'm envious… My home is close to Romagna, so we may be alike because of that, but at least I’m not as carefree as she is… I think. Ah… Maybe I am. Ah, anyway, she's quite skilled, so her future looks bright."
- "Shirley often looks at the battlefield from a distance. And then, when the enemy shows her a weakness, she comes flying in and takes it out using her special speed. She's the kind of person who thinks about how to use her strong points in battle. We've only formed a pair a few times, but when we did, she followed my moves well, and it was easy to do a good job. She might be unexpectedly good at taking care of others."
- "Trude always complains about small things I’m doing that she doesn’t like, and is annoyingly strict when it comes to rules. But I understand she's doing it because she cares about me! I always think I shouldn’t cause her too much trouble, but I always end up doing it anyway. I guess she feels like a big sister to me. But although she seems very reliable, she can also be quite clumsy sometimes. Such as when it comes to her sister."
- "I actually get along well with Sanya! We talk to each other quite often, but I guess it's usually just me who's doing the talking. We're both usually not very talkative, but we still have a lot of things we want to talk about. What we're talking about doesn't really matter though!"
- "Eila is quite an oddball! Eh? I’m not the one to talk? But the way she's dodging bullets as if she can see everything that's going on around her is really something else! Well, I know she has the ability to see the near future and all that, but it's as if she has eyes on the back of her head! The first time we met, she suddenly grabbed my breasts but… I wonder if that's how they greet each other in Suomus."
- Her nickname, Frau, it's supposed to be a feminization of Bubi but they messed it up so it has pretty much the opposite meaning now. Erich Hartmann was nicknamed Bubi as a reference to his boyish appearence. Unfortunately, the name the japanese picked, "frau" has the complete opposite meaning.
|Return to 501st JFW|