|Charlotte E. Yeager|
16 (1944 Strike Witches)
Date of Birth:
February 13, 1927
United States of Liberion Army Air Corps, Eight Air Force Elite Corps, 357th Air Combat Group, 363rd Fighter Squadron
Flight Lieutenant (promoted from Flying Officer at the beginning of the Season 1)
Striker Unit model:
North Liberion P-51D Mustang (tunned)
Charlotte "Shirley" E. Yeager (シャーロット・E・イェーガー, Shārotto E Iēgā?, Contract form for Charlotte Elwyn Yeager) is a witch of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing. She originates from Liberion and is affiliated with the Liberion Army Air Corps and the Elite Eighth Air Force. She became renowned as Glamorous Shirley, out of her prodigious speed and sparkling beauty.
Possibly in reference to model and photographer Bunny Yeager, Charlotte's familiar is the rabbit, although it's said it is a hare.
Charlotte is a sixteen (in the second season have seventeen) year old girl hailing from the United States of Liberion with the rank of Flight Lieutenant. She was Flying Officer until just the beginning of the anime, when she got promoted. She has set numerous speed records in the military in the local salt flats before the anime.
Before joining the 501st she was also a motorcycle racer who broke the land speed record on Bonneville Salt Flats using a modified Indian motorcycle identical to one used by legendary New Zealand speed bike racer Burt Munro in the 1950s. She was able to break many of these records serveral times and gained a big popularity through the press. Due to this, she is famous as a fast Witch. Francie Gerard seemed to admire Shirley, and Marian Carl wishes to some day meet Shirley to receive a lecture about increasing the speed of the machine.
Shirley is enlisted in the Liberion Army in 1943, after break the land speed record. She was shot down on her first flight. Her original unit is the Army of Liberion's 363rd fighter squadron. This unit is part of the Eighth Air Force, with the mission to aid Europe, and belongs to the 357th Fighter group. Submitted to Europe, but is expelled from her home unit, accused of modification unauthorized of the Strike Unit. But at the highest level of some spared the high ability as a witch, she was sent after the Flying Officer promotion and is integrated in the 501st Joint Fighter Wing. Even in the witch corps, she set a variety of altitude and speed records.
She become an entire member of the 501st, and show their ability to informally free air corps, individual veterans include veterans repeated modest. The achievement is also a mood maker liven up the atmosphere of the troops from the standing position minus one step, and so as to act as a member of the Corps Pilot Officer Lucchini was especially big problem child. (note: badly worded)
Shortly after Miyafuji Yoshika was asignned to the unit, during a special training in the beach, Miyafuji spots something: a high-speed Neuroi. Shirley scramble to intercept and destroy the Neuroi, but she notes something rare in her Striker Unit. In the previous night, Pilot Officer Lucchini accidentally causes and accident with Shirley's Striker Unit. However, this permit her to not only destroy the Neuroi, but also exceeded the sound barrier, making her the fastest Witch ever. She collapsed after a collision with the Neuroi and was rescue by Sergeant Miyafuji and Sergeant Bishop (currently a Flight Sergeant). Although she breaks the sound barrier, not presented in the official registration for failing of witnesses.
After the liberation of Gallia and the disband of the 501st JFW, Shirley and Lucchini travel across North Africa, established in the 31st Joint Fighter Squadron Afrika's base and meet some of African witches, like Hanna-Justina Marseille. In the English version her name has a slight alteration, it was changed to Shirley Yeager.
Her uniform in season 2 differs from that in season 1 because after season 1, the Liberion military lost track of her and so she never got any supplies. As a result, she had to live on what she could get from the place where she was at the moment. Her new red outfit is from Britannia, where she went to get her bike repaired as mentioned in Himeroku.
Ever since the 501st JFW was reformed in Romagna, Ursula Hartmann developed the first Jet Striker Unit prototype, the ME-262 Swallow, which was delivered to the 501st JFW for testing. Shirley initially seems to showed interest in the prototype, but after Lucchini tests it, and felt something was wrong with the unit and leaped out. Shirley makes a race with Barkhorn but, during its third test of speed Trude fainted and crashed into the Adriatic sea. However after scrambling to intercept a Neuroi, it was soon discovered to be too fast and maneuverable even for the Liberion Witch. Barkhorn, broke into the hanger and took off in the 262. She arrived just in time to save Yeager from being caught between two sections of the Neuori which had surrounded her after her gun had jammed. She quickly dispatched the Neuroi, but soon fainted again. The 262 started to accelerate uncontrollably and would soon drain Barkhorn of all her magical powers and subsequently crash and kill her. However thanks to some quick thinking and going supersonic again for only the second time, Yeager was able to catch up and pull the emergency release cable on the 262.
In the Movie, Shirley and Lucchini are rowing a boat through a canal in Venezia and Shirley participated in a speed race with Luciana Mazzei. At first, the Romagnan Witch seem to have the upper hand, but Shirley soon picks up the pace, and Fernandia forces Luciana to use her magic. A very angry Shirley immediately responds by activating her own and vastly outdistances them, reaching the goal in seconds. Later, she and the other witches combat with a Neuroi.
Magnanimous in character, tall and buxom in appearance, Charlotte ("Shirley" to her friends) is a thrill-seeker who is fascinated by speed and her dream is break the sound barrier. Concerned with cleanliness, Charlotte had her personal bath transported all the way to the Strike Witches' Britannia base when she was transferred from the Liberion Army 363rd Fighter Wing. She is strong, confident and sociable. She's the kind of person who thinks about how to use her strong points in battle. She's an individualist, very freedom loving. Someone who cares about getting time over to do the things she wants to do. But she still gets along very well with everyone else, and she always plays her part well when it really matters.
She is good for making barbecue. She is carefree and capable to become friends with just about anyone. Charlotte is full of self-confidence and willingness to take risks, but has a rather carefree attitude to life - if you watch them, they did not come up with the idea that the unit is at war. She appreciates the finer things in life, such as the comfort of a bath. Also, she drives like crazy and while not as destructive as most in the one scene she's shown driving, she drifts on mountainside dirt roads and leaps across chasms in a military supply truck.
Is a good friend of Francesca Lucchini, whoever is almost always cuddled up in Shirley's bosom (which Shirley allows) and have a orange plane named Glamorous Shirley. She actuates like an older sister to Miyafuji Yoshika and Lynette Bishop, and also has a rivarly with Gertrud Barkhorn. They really don't like each other, and they are not exactly shy about showing it either.
Like her namesake, Charlotte becomes the first person to break the sound barrier, making her the fastest Witch ever, which may be due to her magic ability Speed Boost (超加速, Chō-kasoku, lit. "Super Acceleration") allowing her to perform a task rapidly when she focuses, such as running or flying. Is used unconsciously, even when Shirley breaks the land speed record. Shirley is a very fast Witch, thanks to her inherent magic. It is likely that her magic is of a similar magic Linage as Francie Gerard's magic ability. Her magical ability allows her to enhance her Striker Unit's performance and increase her airspeed exponentially, giving her the responsibility to pursue and destroy high-speed Neurois.
Other than that, she's got the abilities to match any mechanic. Also of the maintenance and the adjustments (to be most fast) of her Strike Unit, also good for restore planes and vehicles.
In battle, her favourite tactic is looks at the battlefield from a distance. And then, when the enemy shows her a weakness, she comes flying in and takes it out using her special speed.
She is based on Chuck Yeager, and shares many characteristics with her archetype: Yeager was the first pilot to travel faster than sound in 1947, and would later break further speed and altitude records in his life; he was a mechanic, similar to Shirley's tinkering, and flew a plane he named the Glamorous Glennis (similar to Shirley's alias Glamorous Shirley).
Her Striker Unit is a North Liberion P-51D Mustang. She has tunned and changed the assigning barriers for a high speed. She also changes the original motor for a type 60 Merlin. She nicknames her Striker Unit 'Merlin' and is connected with strong attachment with Merlin.
Strike Witches "What-if" — 1947
Flight Lieutenant Yeager went to serve in her own country. She is cheerful and sociable, and she always has people around her, but she still needs some time alone. When she is in the land of memories, Bonneville Salt Flats, she thinks about the European sky where she flew with her little partner.
This shouldn't be considered entirely canonical, because it was only tweeted by Humikane.
- Himegoe Voice Albums
- Hime Uta Song Albums
- Himebana Drama Albums
- Himeroku Drama Albums
- Strike Witches Gakuen
- Himegoe CD 2 Voice Albums
- Strike Witches Otome no Maki
- Strike Witches 2
- Strike Witches Short-Shorts: After the Sky
- Ichimen no Ao
- Strike Witches 2 Visual Short Story
- 500overs in Africa
Shirley's Comments About Other Characters
- "The Wing Commander is a good Commander. She never complains about me doing whatever I want as long as I complete my missions as I should. That's why I want to do my best for her sake. You have to give back for what you take, after all."
- "Lynne? Yeah, she seems happier since Miyafuji came here. She's like a little sister, so I was a little worried about her. I was thinking it might be better for her to leave the unit since she was never able to get anything done, but she should be fine now. She might be a little too kind sometimes, but as long as there's something she wants to protect, I'm sure she'll get stronger."
- "That Miyafuji is quite an interesting girl. While everyone else takes fighting the Neuroi for granted, she wondered if it really is the right thing to do. And she doesn't seem to understand that soldiers should always obey orders. I wonder what kind of interesting training she's gone though with Major Sakamoto? Anyway, she seems intrigued by my breasts? Well, who can blame her?"
- "I'm glad to fight under an extraordinary Commander like Major Sakamoto. Her instructions are always easy to understand, she cares about her subordinates and serves as a good example to us all. It's very motivating! I'm usually not very good at taking orders from others otherwise."
- "Glasses? Yeah, she's actually a good person, but why can't she be a little more true to her own feelings? She's talented both when it comes to dog-fighting and magic and she's way more serious than the rest of us concerning training. But well... I guess she just wants to be close to the Major. She tries to hide it, but that stubbornness just makes it even funnier."
- "I guess she's still attached to her mother. She might look fine, but she's actually having quite a rough time. Of course, I'm happy she's taken a liking to me. She's like a little kitten. But did you know? Her familiar is actually a black panther! I was sure it was a cat at first! I wonder where they met?"
- "She's a true Karlslandian soldier. Overly serious, formal, always complains when someone is late and just loves rules and regulations. Who cares about that as long as we do what we're supposed to? Sometimes you just have to tease her a little so she can get a break or I'm afraid she might explode. Well, she's a good person, but this is my duty as someone with the same rank."
- "She's an ultra ace, and yet she's worse than me in some regards! She gets confined to her room more often than I do, and her room is a mess... But she's like a different person in the air, and she's really an amazing fighter. She also never seems to get stressed up or agitated, so I'm kind of looking up to her."
- "Sanya? Yeah, she's a good girl. No one else is fit for doing night patrol every day like she does, so I'm thankful she does that. If only she would have more confidence in herself, I'm sure she would be an excellent night witch. An expert on night battles, doesn't it sound cool?"
- "Eila's miraculous dog-fighting techniques are really amazing. It's almost like the bullets are avoiding her, you know? Not only has she never been shot down, she's never even been scratched! Everyone else has been shot down once or twice at least. Me? Yeah, I was shot down on my first flight. Hahaha!"
|Return to 501st JFW|